Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Don't Play with Sharp Knives...
and Pay Attention to What You're Eating.


Thanks to this post from Adventures in Bentomaking, I laughed myself to sleep the night before Halloween.  It was to be a school day, and last year, I had busted out with the Mummy noodle bento (also thanks to Adventures) and then saw this recipe for "severed fingers."  The original recipe did not include the nasty fingernails, and I wished that my pasta shells had been one size bigger, but you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

If you can't tell, that bun is pretty small.  Hank and Jack can each eat two of them for lunch.  So I packed Hannah one "regular" hotdog...no need to terrorize five year olds...well, maybe it would be fun, but I chickened out.  Then I packed Hank and Jack each one regular hotdog and one "severed finger in a bun."  Then I kept making obnoxious comments about "stay away from knives! Be careful with sharp objects!" as they got ready for school and walked to the bus.

Jack opened his severed finger at lunch, and one of his friends immediately looked over and said, "Um, that looks like a severed finger."  He came home acting appropriately disgusted. Score one for the freakshow mom!

Hank came home and I looked at him expectantly, waiting.  He unpacked his lunch kit and put it away.  I followed him, looking expectant.  "Well?" I said.  He looked confused.  "Well?" I asked, "Did you notice anything in your lunch?"  He looked confused and then a lightbulb went off.  I waited, holding my breath, hoping it had grossed him out or given him the heebie-jeebies.  "Oh, yea...Mom? Why did you put a raw noodle in my hotdog? That crunchy texture was an unpleasant surprise."  Ugh.  Fail.

I guess I'll take one out of two. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment