Thursday, November 24, 2011

God Bless Technology: First Aggie Football Visions in Two Seasons

We don't get most American channels on our basic satellite TV, and what we did get wasn't working earlier this fall when the one Aggie game was broadcast on Fox Sports (the one sports channel we receive). So I figure that I would have to be grateful for online radio (WTAW.com), the only way I've been able to follow Aggie football for the past two seasons. Yes, I wake up in the middle of the night (typically 2-3 AM), typically before a long work day, to listen to Dave South call the Aggie games.

So in my normal habit, I woke up at 3:45 AM, made a nest on the couch, fired up the computer, connected to the audio feed.  A minute or two in, I figured what the hell and went to ESPN to see if they were streaming the live video and how much it would cost me. No luck. Then I did a quick web search, and the second result got me the full streaming ESPN presentation for FREE without any accounts or info--I just went to the website and the game magically appeared. Serious win at 4:10 AM. 

At half time, I decided it was safe to wake up the house, took the computer upstairs, and used our magical cord to plug it into the large TV. The second half of the game (6-8 AM) then looked like this. EPIC WIN: 


Yes, the Aggies were outscored, but to have seen the "last" game in this historic rivalry. To have actually seen Kyle Field and the War Hymn swaying...made my heart sing. It was a fantastic game, worth arguing about (bad calls, intense playing, so. much. noise., last-minute scores). There was screaming and jumping in our house. I can't feel sorry about the outcome. Although I wish the Aggies had won, to end with this sort of all around drama is 1000% better than ending with a blow-out either way. Congrats 'sips.

Now we're off to the SEC, where we will become a better team and get better recognition...then in a few years, all the politicos will figure out a way to have the rivalry meeting again. And we will be ready.

2 comments:

  1. Meanwhile, I was out in the country at my folks and discovered that they (a) did not have ESPN and (b) had slow internet. So, I was here just down the road from the game and had to listen to it on WTAW.

    I am very thankful, though, for Dave and Dave and the Aggie Radio Network!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always tell myself that listening to it on the radio gives me full privileges to lecture my kids about "the good old days." And I can guarantee that Dave and Dave were better commentators than those hosers on ESPN...

    ReplyDelete