Monday, March 7, 2011

There's a reason the world doesn't appreciate American Coffee

It's because no one knows how to make it. There are several good coffees available - both Bedui and Turkish are quite good. And the French even have a small shop that makes an acceptable french press. But the good ol' US of A is not well represented.




Of course, I believe that Folgers is to coffee what Taco Bell is to beef (as in it's more filler than the real deal), so maybe that qualifies me as a snob. But when the common man equates good coffee with Nescafe, Man, you done found yo'self in a FOREIGN LAND.




And let's just say my morning persona is not now as bright and happy as it once was.




But there is a silver lining. In my frantic search to find some kind of substitute I have learned to make some fine FINE new hot beverages. I mentioned Turkish coffee (Ka'awa Turkia) and Bedui coffee (Ga'awa Beduia) above. I also have learned from my travels and friends about Indian chai, masala chai, ginger black chai, Persian/Irani shai, Karak (shai Beduia), and Kashmiri saffron tea.




I am also learning a bit more about the more classic English teas and to appreciate something other than Earl Grey in that genre. I've become especially fond of the Darjeeling teas.




So I thought I might share (especially with my foodie friends) what I've learned. I'll do a series of posts about each of the ones I've listed above, and if this makes me a bore, so be it.


And no cracks from my t.u. friends and family. I've only gone to sippin' tea in the absence of a decent cup of jo.








No comments:

Post a Comment