Friday, March 11, 2011

"Crepes" at the Souq

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.  Let me tell you what is good: going to Souq Waqif in the evening and eating something made by an Arab Mama.  Now, I'm assuming they are Mama's...they can certainly cook like Mamas.

These photos show a lady making a crepe-like sandwich thingy.  It's not a crepe--the batter that she spreads on first is too thick, but she uses a spatula to make it very thin on the gas-fired griddle.  After it cooks for a few minutes, she then spreads a creamy processed cheese product (similar to cream cheese) on top.

Next, she breaks a fresh egg on top of the crepe/cheese and uses the spatula to break the egg and spread it as another thin later on top. It cooks from the heat coming through the other layers.

Next, you can add hot sauce (like Tabasco) or spices (maybe a thyme/oregano mix?) or a fish sauce.  I haven't tried the fish sauce and have heard mixed things about it (some love, some hate).  The hot sauce is my favorite.

After it has finished cooking, she folds it over.  The crepe is a little toasted and is actually light and crisp.  Absolutely delicious--and this is just one of many options of "home made" food at the souq.

I can't take photos of the lady's face--she may or may not care about having her picture made, but language barriers make the request difficult.  The faces here are beautiful--lots of character in the smiles and eyes.  Kind and very sweet people, who live by a sort of quiet politeness that isn't as common anymore in the US.  It's still there in the US--lots of real ladies and gentlemen, but you just don't see the same level of it in basic public places.









Here then is the version John has developed at home:

The base is a "roti paratha" from the grocery store freezer section. It's shaped like a tortilla but is much flakier and richer. He then tops it with a very spreadable cream cheese we call "cow cheese," fries an egg and adds that to the top. We finish it off with lots of garlic Tabasco. And maybe some bubbly grape juice type beverage... :)

3 comments:

  1. I had one of these at the Souq and enjoyed it very much along with the company I kept. It was the real
    mcCoy, not the 'rota paratha' and grape juice.

    BS
    ps: me thinks that is PS holdin the real mcCoy in
    the next to last frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Thank *is* PAYS with the McCoy. See how far behind I was on my posting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Son like it very much..and I want to make at home. I have asked Arab Mama who make the arabic crepes it calls Khobus Regag.. I asked her about the recipe, but she told me everything in arabic which was I really didnt understand what she said.I cant reach & buy everyday in souq waqif as our home far away and its 30km from my home. If someone who can share about this recipe I would love to have it...

    ReplyDelete