Wednesday, May 19, 2010

This Is Gonna Cost Me A Fortune




One of the nice things about this part of the world is that off-the-rack is not the predominant way to buy clothing. There are tailors - really good ones, mainly from the subcontinent - all over the place. I went with Thibodeaux to his tailor, and was amazed at the low cost of having made shirts, slacks, ties, or whole suits. As in Seville Row. No, better than Seville Row. Women's dresses likewise. Take them a picture, pick out the material, they measure you, and presto - you have your suit/dress/whatever. So I decided a linen dress shirt was in order. Just to test this sitchy out, you know. Hence my trip to the textiles store.



Oh my God. There's no way I can show Nancy where this place is. I've never seen anything like it. Never. And they served me Turkish coffee (my growing issues with Turkish coffee I'll save for another post).



It'll be our little secret. Me and Pashmina (below).


6 comments:

  1. There are some things money can't buy - in this case free coffee, Arabic lessons, iPhone support and saree draped mannequins. For everything else, there's MasterCard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he wants to touch her boobie, which I guess, all things considered, is okay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no. That's for my post about the giant TaTa's roaming the streets. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I can hardly wait to see you in your new linen custom made shirt!!! I want to visit!!! This is my personal version of "CANDY STORE"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and are all of the blogger verification words in arabic now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you get a lotta clothes and you'll really have to watch your diet! Imagine the horror of having a nice wardrobe custom made and the buttons don't meet........... Y. M-I-L

    ReplyDelete