Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Buying Paint (or Home Depot in a bread box)

Our contractors, Edsal and Bong (I am not making this up - and my gardeners' names are Guru and Babu), are really good guys and extremely professional in what they do. But buying the paint is not in their job description, so I got to do that part. No problem, there are paint suppliers all over Doha. I chose LuLu Supply in New Rayyan (Rayyan used to be a seperate township near where we live, but has been gobbled up by the city), which is a JoTun Paint supplier. Here's a shot of Thibodeaux out in front of the store:

They have a very good selection of paint and painting supplies, and I was nicely surprised to find they had a high tech laser color-matching machine. They got every color correct except maroon. Go figure.
You can see the size of the store in the picture - it's not quite as deep as it is wide, and it stays fairly packed with people. People and STUFF. While I was waiting on the paint to mix I played a little game with myself called "Do they have everything a Home depot would have?" And the answer is YES. Wide array of tools? Check. Exhaustive plumbing supplies? Check. Bathroom fixtures? Sinks, toilets, and yes Bidets? Check-check-check-check. Lawn Mowers? Yep. Garden sprayers? check. Duct tape? In large quantities. Power Toools? Die sets? Lighting? You name it, it's there. I did not find one single thing that a Home depot would carry that wasn't in that store, which is the size of my LIVING ROOM. Hence the title:

Home Depot in a bread box

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post with good pictures. Your grade is A+!

    "My gardeners"? You are settling right into that "upper crust" lifestyle, aren't you? Get yourself a camel hair loin cloth and a big palm leaf so you can fan me while I sit on the divan... :)

    Edsel and Bong. And the compound's janitor is named Cheeto? Do I have this all straight?

    ReplyDelete