Thursday, May 27, 2010

Let the Packing Begin!

The international shippers arrive on Tuesday the 1st.  My "preparation" list is written on all sorts of paper scraps, legal pads, and the back of my hand.  That last spot I reserve for "emergency" items only.  And I write them with a permanent Sharpy.

Today was BEAN BUYING DAY.  I went to HEB and got the essentials:


That is 36 pounds of dried pinto beans (9 bags X 4 lb. each).  Yes, this drew quite a bit of conversation at the store.  Of course, I explained by saying, "I'm from South Texas, and I'm moving to the Middle East.  They have all sorts of beans but no pintos.  I cannot be without my pinto beans."  At least four different college-aged kids asked me about this pile of beans, and ALL of them completely understood my answer.   Good Aggies. :)
That is 7 bottles of Tabasco.  I ran out of time to get the gallon size ordered.  Dammit.  It may have to go in my suitcase.
That is 15 bottles of sun screen.  Take any one of those, and it would cost ~25$ in Doha.  With the current temperature at 111 degrees, we stocked up.
All of this will go in that international shipment.

Not pictured:
56 pairs of new underwear.

I'll do a lot of strange things, but I will not ship previously-worn underwear in a box to the Middle East.

2 comments:

  1. Mz. Nancy, please dole those pintos out reasonably. Doha may not undertstand the wholesome aroma thing that many American have learned to love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 56 divided by 5 = 11+ per person. what if someone changes size in the next 2-3 years? Are you saving your previously owned underwear for your return? How often do you cook pintos? One pound of pintos every other week will make 72 weeks of pintos. That is one year and 20 weeks. surely I can come for my visit before 92 weeks have passed and I WILL bring new supply. As for the rest of the above info, just like Gaga I'll just have to think about it. I love you, YM

    ReplyDelete