Monday, May 31, 2010

Care to Wager?

The international movers come tomorrow.  Last week, I had to email an itemized spreadsheet to them, listing everything that we're bringing, down to the socks.  Now tonight, I have several huge piles o' stuff spread out across the house.  At some point in the past, I had hallucinated myself into a magical realm wherein I had a real count/value for everything we're taking...but then reality hit and my well-traveled cousin who has moved internationally several times noted that just an estimated inventory/value is typically fine.  I'm acknowledging her as the expert and just letting all those insane thoughts of precision fly out the door.

So here's our game for the next 24-hours.  These are the photos of the stacks/piles.  How much do you think the total weight will be?  The winner gets praise and recognition for weigh-guessing awesomeness.



This is the clothes for a family of five.  My laundry basket is hidden behind the garbage can full of my shoes.

The box on the left is Hannah's toys (most of them), with a stack of posters (mostly unframed) in the middle, a small Mexican cat bench on the right, and a buck-toothed dragon turtle (all of wood, not heavy).

The kitchen stuff--two cast iron skillets, a paella pan, an egg frying pan, three knives, a set of juice glasses, a five-piece wine opening set (red box), and an antique ceramic Christmas tree.  Yes, that's random, but it's my prerogative!


And finally, the biggest pile of all.  From left to right: box of wall clocks, door stops, pillow cases, basket of small stuffed animals, basket of food (including 36# of dried pinto beans and 8 boxes of fiber cereal), a box of books, a box of Wii games and accessories, 20 towels, four comforters, a box of sporting goods for those who ski and those who swim and those who surf, a box of office books/decorations for John, and two laundry baskets of John's shoes and socks and random stuff.

So there's an overview of what's contained.

How much do you think it weighs?

Did I mention how freakin' happy I will be when the movers LEAVE tomorrow?

4 comments:

  1. 1170.5 pounds. Under 1500 with the boxes and packing materials they'll use. Kalash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat/Mammy says 900#
    BS says 1343 lb & 9 oz
    I believe it would all fit in a Conastoga wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Including guesses off Facebook and off here--John wins! Right around 1,100 lbs. BJS gets special recognition for humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over 24 hours have elapsed. I am dying to know the actual weight of such scant necessities for a family of five. No contrubution of guestimation came from me. I cannot visualize any differnence in 114 lbs and 195 lbs. until encased in denim so I happily concede. cumon, cumon, cumon already.

    ReplyDelete