Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sri Lankan Barbers, or Life in the Saloon

Barber shops here are called saloons. No they don't have poker or serve whiskey, but they do have some talented barbers in them. My new barber Ramesh is Sri Lankan and talented. Let's just say I needn't have been worried about missing my buxom-sancha-barber-lady back in Texas.
I'm pleased with the haircut (I won't say I'm any prettier, but the raw material dictates the outcome anyway) and i enjoyed the shave. I haven't been shaved at a barber shop since the morning I got married. But I digress.

The scalp, face, and shoulder massage wasn't shabby either, and no Nancy there was no "happy ending." What there was as an ending was a sudden and unexpected chiropractic procedure when he jerked my head around backwards and my neck produced a series of loud CRACKS. I'm pretty sure I groaned really loudly because the other patrons all turned to look what the blue-eye was grunting about. So I recieved an haircut, a shave (bona fide with a straight razor. You haven't lived until someone with whom you can't directly communicate comes at you with a razor), a massage, and a chiropractic procedure - all for under $10. And that's including a large tip.

Last thing: Notice the 1950's retro dapper dude on the sign in the top picture.














1 comment:

  1. A little too reminiscent of Johnny Depps barbershop musical movie. You really should see it before your next haircut!

    ReplyDelete