Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Acts of kindness

Adventure often carries either great tragedy, or great humor. Sometimes both. But no worries, there's no tragedy here, just some really funny things to tell.

I would however be remiss, Dear Reader, if I did not have as my first real blog post (after a week on the ground here, sorry) some story representative of the kindness and love that have been shown me in my first few days of utter tenderfootism. There have been many, so I will relate only one.

I have become fast friends with an Indian man who I will refer to as Thibodeaux. Because he's a Coon Ass. No, really, he lived for 20+ years in Louisiana (cajun country) before coming to Doha. He has taken care of me, as have many others, in a thousand ways. He cooked me lunch the first weekend I was here, and then he taught me to eat it with my hands, like the people in southern India do. Did I mention that it was chicken curry with lots of gravy? Let's just say I was not adept, and so there's a mental image for ya.

Anyway, it was the best curry I've ever had. He made it from scratch. If you ask Nancy, she'll tell you that home cooking is synonomous with love. Someone cooks for you, it means they love you. I know Nancy (and my Mom) really love me, because I'm fat.

His cooking was a great kindness, an act of love, and indicative of the reception I received in Doha. What else do I need, except my family to SCHUM ON NOW.

3 comments:

  1. Some benchmarks for successful assimilation to the current context for the Boudreaux (a.k.a. John) in this story:

    . When he responds to 90% of face to face queries with the "indian head wobble"
    . Shirks the use of the knives, forks and spoons for at least 20% of his meals
    . Adopts this driving style as a norm: Swings over three lanes of traffic in one direction, and then three lanes back to the other direction just to be in front of the car he was just behind
    . A 70% reduction in WTF statements (in reactions to driving styles, signage adventures, etc.)
    . Wears his ethnic meals on his shirt at least 50% of the time (indicates extreme absorption in the enjoyment and consumption and marginal interest in appearances)
    . For at least 70% of indian or sub-continental meals claims that the food is NOT spicy enough.

    The above performance evaluation and benchmarking process is no means exhaustive and parameters will be added. The Coonass Indian will continually monitor his progress and provide with the appropriate number of head wobbles to indicate progress or the lack of it.

    The Coonindian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seeing the above as a checklist printed and taped on the refrigerator, as a reminder of the goals. Shirking of utensils would be welcome by all members of my immediate family (including me), but this means we must teach the little boys how to cut/clean their fingernails (ewwwwww).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame that the C.I. never met Buda.....or maybe he did. They seem to have attended the same driving school. Y-MIL

    ReplyDelete