Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Maha Kuthumb

So most of my dear readers know that I recently had the chance to go to India with my good friend, the Cajun Indian, Thibideaux Ravianna. I also call him Sala Gandhu, but that's for another post (watch for one called Yogi Boogi and Johnny Munga - you won't be dissappointed). His real name is Ravindra. Anna is the term used for the eldest brother, and so I call him Ravianna (as do his dear sisters, also my maha kuthumb).
Ravi being welcomed by Asha


I spent a week living with Ravi's family in Mumbai, and frankly I now feel like I have a whole branch of my family living in India. I call them my Maha Kuthumb, which in Hindi means "the Larger Family."


I got the term when I visited the home Ravi spent his early childhood years living and playing and growing up in Bombay. I don't think Ravianna will mind if I mention that it is an incredibly small place - one room - and totals about 125 Ft Sq. In terms of money they were very poor but I have learned over and over in my life that paucity of money does not necessarily a poor life make. I met many of the people with whom Ravi grew up, and I will tell you that he was quite rich in love and support. Thibs will tell you that he has made his way in the world not in spite of where he comes from, but BECAUSE of where he comes from.

Ravi in front of the building he lived in as a child


While we were there we met the family who are now living in his childhood home. Standing outside we heard a tabla and heard a young voice inviting us into their home - this was Pushpa, the daughter, who was practicing her drums. The father is a musician and teaches classical Hindi music on several instruments including voice. Pushpa sang and played a song for us on the Tampura (similar to but not the same as a Sitar). It was beautiful.

The music teacher and his wife (Pushpa's parents)

Pushpa singing a classical Hindi song


In our conversation about music, the father used the term "maha saagar" to describe the richness, scope, and unrestricted nature of Indian music. This means "a larger ocean." You can sail anywhere you want to go.


So I stole the idea to describe my family in India. My Maha Kuthumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment