Saturday, November 6, 2010

Just a Little Year 6 Field Trip: Jack Off to the UAE

Jack is boarding a plane to the UAE as I write this. They fly into Dubai and then board a bus to Fujairah, one of the Emirates (on the Indian Ocean). Click here to read about it on Wikipedia. He's on his way to a five-day field trip with his school, to an outdoor adventure camp. It's a permanent facility with a full counselor staff, cafeteria, bunk houses, etc.

I keep thinking to myself..."And just six months ago, we were living in Texas and Jack had never been on an airplane." Wow. I mean really wow. Jack, of course, is handling like a pro--he has a good circle of buddies forming. As long as I don't concentrate too much on sending my 10 year old on an international trip, then I'm okay, too.

I took him to the airport at 5:30 AM this morning. All the kiddos got checked in, and then the parents had to wait until they had all cleared with their passports and exit visas before we left the airport. What fun to sit and chat with the multi-national crowd of Moms and Dads.

Here are a few pictures from my phone:

Jack and buddies ready for the adventure.  Eight guys, eight nationalities I think.

 One last Mama hug and a big thumbs up.

Off he goes.
Did I mention that I am really really proud of my boy?

As I sat in the airport not knowing exactly what to think about this, I had a blast with our Facebook friends keeping me up to date on the TAMU-OU game.  We won! What a good way to start a work week. :)

Sidenote: Once the time changes in Texas, we'll be 9 hours ahead here...

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Momma. He will have a blast and have many stories to tell upon his return. What a fantastic experience for him... And you of course. Ha!

    ReplyDelete