Monday, October 4, 2010

Habib Report: Part of the Flock

Habib has become a full-fledged member of the Small Flock...he has accepted our chaos with grace, dignity, and an excellent sense of humor. 

Here he is having his dinner with us.  While we eat at the big counter in the kitchen, he eats from a little tray.  I have figured out that I can tuck the edge of the little tray under the little lip of the gate that's holding on like a drawbridge to the bigger perch.  This prevents delays him from throwing the whole damned thing on the floor.

I even got him to step up on my hand a couple of days ago!  This was from the floor, not from his cage or perch.  When I try to get him to step up from his cage or perch, he looks at me like I've lost my mind.

I taught Habib to say "Cowboy...YEA HAW!" and then I taught him to yell "BIRD MAN!"  But Habib has a habit of not liking compound words, so now he yells "COW BIRD! YEE HAW!"

I have also christened him with one of my obnoxious nicknames, "Bee-bo."  This evolved from Habib to Habibi to Beebee to Beebee-Loo to Bee-Bo.  Now when he wants me, he calls out "BEE BO!  Schum on! It's okay, Bee Bo."  For those of you Sandra Boynton fans, the Belly Button Book uses the name Bee-Bo for a belly button.  Just a nice coincidence.

Habib's fantastic parents Vee and Collin came for a visit last Saturday.  Thanks to Habib, we now have life-long friends.  I treasure them and their daughter (Dawn)--such fun and friendly people.  It's really cool to see how much Habib loves Vee, too.  He gets all lovey and excited the second she walks in the door.  As I've said before, she has a special gift with birds.

Vee verified Habib's problem with compound words.  She told me that she tried to teach him to sing "Happy Birthday to You," but that he would just sing "Happy Birth to You, Happy Birth to You."  Well, I guess that works, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment