Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bad Case of the Homesickness this Week

I guess I've never really been away from home long enough to know deep down homesickness.  I used to go to camp for three weeks at a time, and I would get a little homesick then.  In college, I got homesick, but that was sort of complicated for other reasons.

But oh, man, I'm having a flair up now.  My sweet friend and fellow "transplated Tex(strali)an" Raina-in-Australia right calls it "profound," and she is right on with that, because it reaches down deep into places you don't expect.

An interesting reflection is this: being homesick doesn't mean you aren't really happy where you are.  I am happy with my students, my growing friendships, my house, the kids' school, and everything else.  Good grief: my kids are each learning two new languages.  Jack is making a claymation movie and is scheduled to go on a field trip to one of the UAEs next month.  Hank is doing a cultural study on the Blues (style of music) and learning to play the violin.  [He says his teacher is "a hottie."  Will this encourage him to stick with the lessons?  We shall see.] John is doing amazing "new" work in development.  We live in a nice, big house and drive good cars.  I'm able to take two graduate courses that I otherwise couldn't afford. We are making an incredible home-away-from-home for ourselves.  I have no personal wants or complaints.  Period.

But when I think about the fall weather and the approaching holiday season and the upcoming birth of a very dear friend's baby.  Well, let's just say today is messy.

So I'm posting these photos from a year ago, October 2009.  They bring me a lot of joy and a lot of homesickness all at once.


Last October, we spent the night at the Waco Zoo with a group of former cub scouts.  This was one of the best kid adventures I have ever had.  We got to go "behind the scenes" and feed the big cats, giraffes, and rhinos at night.  We got to spend the night in the aquarium house.  And a previous cub scout fundraiser meant it was all free.

That lady with the wagon in the back is my precious Angie, whose baby is due soon.  Not being there to support her, to cheer her on, and to get my hands on that tiny little new friend...these things are feeding my homesickness most of all. 

 Although the leaves shouldn't be turning yet, I occasionally look at the Texas weather and see lows in the low 50's and upper 40's.  See their long pants and jackets?  A breeze was probably blowing, too.  There's a breeze blowing in Doha right now...and the light has changed...you know how it does when the days start getting shorter...so I keep thinking that when I open the door, the breeze will be cool and refreshing.

The temperature here is 99 with a "Real Feel" of 112.  That's coolER than 120 with a real-feel of 135.  Somehow, it's not cutting it for "cool breeze" today.

October of course makes me think of Halloween.  This is Hannah last year on trick or treat day at school.  Her best friend Audrey, who is next to her dressed as a princess, Hannah asks about every day.  She says that we will fly Audrey here for her birthday party next June.  Hannah was a cat in a tutu.  I made the tutu, tail, and ears.  Somehow, when she got to school, she got incredibly shy...yes, she used to be that way. It was also raining.  [I'm sorry, what?  What is rain?  I haven't seen any since June?]  The rain prevented us from doing trick-or-treat on the square.  So the people from the town businesses all lined up under a covered walkway and the kids ran the "candy gauntlet."  The business owners in Franklin are so sweet and generous at Halloween.  It is a really wonderful thing.
Of course, October means Jacky Jack's birthday.  He'll be 10 in just 25 days.  He's missing his Franklin best friends but is really thriving here, wandering the compound, meeting new people, and soaking up the different approach to school.  I'm so so so proud of him, and that has nothing to do with being homesick.

Enough self-indulgence. 
Time to yank up my Mama Briefs and go get the kids from the school bus... :)

6 comments:

  1. I really, truly know exactly how you feel, and plenty of others do too. You just miss the familiar, whatever it may be. Everyone deals with it in their own way. Pictures make me cry, so I try to re-create things (smells, tastes, textures, events). I burn candles that smell like fall; we do fall and Halloween arts & crafts that we can hang up around the house; I make pumpkin bread because that's the only season for it! If I had a noise machine, I'd get one to play the sound of rain :) And next month, I'll do just what I did last year: I'll host a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at our compound, and we'd love to have your family join us! I make the turkey, dressing, and desserts, and everyone else brings their favorite side dish (whatever their family's staple on the Thanksgiving table is). There wasn't any football on TV in the background, or chilly weather outside, but there were plenty of people just like us, who missed home, and somehow that made everyone feel a little better.

    I hope your day gets better friend!

    P.S. I have crawfish etoufee and dirty rice at my house tonight if you want to pull up and honk, I'll bring it to your car :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? See why I shouldn't be having a blue day? This is the kind of wonderful people who surround me. And that pumpkin bread was delicious and a great sign on the season.

    I do pledge this, however: I will NEVER. not. even. ONCE. pull up in front anywhere and start honking for service. NEVER. Good grief. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect. your blog actually made me cry today as i've been feeling this same way. i feel like you just put into words a lot of emotions that i haven't been able to. (i suppose that's why you're the english person and i'm the science person!) i love that you're here with me. not many people "get it" the way you do.

    "it reaches down deep into places you don't expect"- so perfectly said. i'm so happy here. i'm living my dream and wouldn't change it for the world. i hate telling people at home that i'm "homesick" because they equate that with unhappy, which isn't the case at all!

    We've missed a birth, a nephew's birthday, a brother's engagement, soon a mother's 50th, a best friend's wedding, and then a best friend's birth, and possibly (but hopefully not) a brother's wedding... those are the things that make it rough. (and it won't help that it will be 110 for christmas. and I'm with you- what's rain?)

    thanks for writing this post. i'm now reflecting. and that means i'll probably blog about it soon. expect a shout-out. ;)

    now, if you'll excuse me, there's a tub of cookie dough calling my name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy--I'm sorry I inspired tears for you. You and Khaler are doing such amazing things. I feel equally lucky to have you on a parallel journey. What a blessing and fun thing to have our shared and different perspectives!

    Cookie dough is a miraculous healer, for sure. I made homemade banana nut bread with walnuts and cashews. We don't have an cinnamon in the house for homemade graham crackers, but after work tomorrow, I am going to buy some. They'll be my weekend project...with blog report and MAJOR shout out to you included.

    Many hugs from Doha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making my heart hurt....I know how you feel because sometimes waves of sadness wash over me when I stop and think about how far away you are - even though I know you are having the adventure of a lifetime. I just comfort myself by thinking of the day when we will be in the retirement home together with our 300 cats while our husbands are playing guitars in the apartment down the hall - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still trying to figure out why TAMUQ needs to pay for me to make a last-minute "emergency" flight to LV, NV today...

    ReplyDelete