Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Habib Report:
Highlights from Weeks 2-3


Habib has been with us between 2 and 3 weeks now, and I know he still misses him "Mum" and that she misses him desperately.  That sadness aside, we are really enjoying getting to know him and watching him take in and make peace with our chaos.

Here are a few highlights...
  • Habib has started learning to whistle "Colonel Bogey" (a.k.a. The Comet Song or The Bridge over the River Kwai).  A video with the song is below.  I would also like to personally thank Mr. Lancaster of the Chisholm Trail Middle School 6th grade band.  For without him, I would not know this song and Habib would not be whistling it with me.
  • He is starting to come out of his cage and sit on or close to his portable stand (with little or no encouragement).
  • When I go to his cage, he comes very quickly to see me (out of happiness, not aggression).  He'll very gently take treats from me outside of his cage.  He did give me one very gently "test" bite the other day, but it was not painful, and neither he nor I freaked out.
  • He shows kindness and patience to the little boys, who can feed him treats (shelled raw pistachio kernels) through the cage bars.
  • He likes John (also takes treats from him).
  • He played "soccer" with me on his perch/tray using a tennis ball and a pingpong ball.  That was exceptionally fun.
  • He puts on a talking/whistling show every evening and on many mornings.  He'll even do this with one of us in the room if we're sitting quietly.
  • He knows the first little intro "ba da ta ba da--dut dut" opening of the Green Acres song.  I didn't teach him that...
 Sitting on the "bridge over the River Kwai" (open door) between his cage and the perch/stand.

Jack has been reading the books on African Greys that Habib's Mom sent home with us, so Jack is our fount of knowledge.  I think Habib is ready for me to let him step up, but I'm still feeling chicken.  I know getting a bite or two is going to just be part of the story, but ohhhhhh, I remember how those can hurt.  The good news is that he doesn't seem to be truly aggressive.  I think he's a sweet, good bird.  The bad news is that even sweet good birds get spooked or annoyed and nip.





No comments:

Post a Comment