Sunday, June 5, 2011

Henna Hannah Henna Fest

Hannah and I are a little crazed over henna. I posted about it as part of Arabian night a little while back.  But that was only the start of our obsession.  At my favorite grocery (Family Foods For the Win!), they sell tubes of pre-mixed henna with a little funnel attachment to help you draw.  I'm pretty sure that real henna artists consider these a total sham, but for two transplanted Texuns, they do just the trick.

Here are two examples of our henna project from last month...


If you apply it to the palms of your hands or the soles of your feet, it stays way longer...

...unless of course you go swimming every day, and then you're like a perpetual henna tabula rasa...



Now, finally this last picture is of Herself in the scarf she picked at Souq Waqif.  She and I made the trip there one morning to pick up goodies for our loved ones back home.  She desperately wanted to "wear it like a real Qatari lady," so I did my clusmy best to wrap it around her hair.  The shop owner was so amused that he gave Hannah a little Qatari flag as a gift.  She walked through the souq carrying that flag with her head covered.  As you can imagine, we got quite a few glances from a large variety of people.  Remember: imitation is a sincere form of flattery...

No comments:

Post a Comment