Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flys Watter, a Cool and Refreshing Drink...or...

I made the long, arduous journey across the parking lot (less than 50 yards) to go to our compound store.  Can you imagine anything more convenient than a 7-11 (without the garish lights) right across the street from your house?  Where a coke costs 1.5 QR (about 50 cents USD)?  Where there's milk and frozen chicken and bread and laundry soap and toilet paper and pool toys and shampoo and candy and fresh fruit and fresh onions and eggs and flour and just almost everything else you could imagine all packed neatly inside a tiny little 25 X 35 foot air-conditioned box?  And it costs about the same as going to the grocery (only a slight bit higher, definitely worth the convenience).

In fact, it's so close and so impressive that I just got off my lazy rump--right in the midst of drafting this post--and walked over there to take a picture.



There's so much stuff--in terms of variety--packed into that store, that I'm never surprised that they have the random thing I went looking for.  Well, today, I was in desperate need of a fly swatter.  The flies here are bad right now...

Me, after looking around and seeing no swatters in plain sight: "Um, do you happen to have a fly swatter?"

Kind Man: "Yes! Fresh water.  Right here."

Me: "Um, no, I'm sorry, I mean a flaaaiiii swot-ter."

Kind Man: "Oh yes!  For the pool! Right here!" (points to blow-up beach balls, swim rings, floaties)

Me: "Yes, I'm not being clear, I'm sorry...you know when a bug is flying through your house [making wild hand motions above my head like a swarm of locusts is descending upon us] and you want to [slapping motion] SMACK it?"

Kind Man, now confused: "Laundry detergent?"

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely hilarious Nancy!! Thank you for sharing that exchange. I don't even to imagine hard the looks that you must have given the kind man, and the looks that he was giving you while you were imitating a fly... o.k. if you wanna try again, tell him Much-chur (roughly translated to mosquito). Here by the way is a malayalam language translator link you might find in handy: http://malayalam.changathi.com/Dictionary.aspx

    ReplyDelete