Saturday, February 4, 2012

Christmas in Austria

Here in Doha, I found some Christmas Crafts at ELC and snuck one into our suitcase.  I was so proud of myself...the paper tree project was light, flat, and all-inclusive, perfect for traveling.  Silly self...I thought that the pieces were already cut out or at least perforated.  So when I excitedly gave the project to Pat & Hannah, I didn't expect that the resulting activity would include Pat tracing and then cutting out dozens of shapes with a pair of curved cuticle scissors or that Bob would have to use a Swiss Army knife to awl the holes in the pieces.  Ummm ooops.  But they as well as Hannah were wonderful troopers, and as a result, we had a very fine Christmas tree in Austria.  

We placed the paper tree in the center of a fresh wreath, purchased in Salzburg, which made the whole thing smell good. 





Then Christmas Eve evening, I was headed down to the washing machine and found this from our hosts: cookies, gifts, and a bottle of wine.  Or maybe it was from Santa?



And Santa did come in the night... The stockings were filled with little bits of things from him and from each of us to the other.  It was actually a perfect "amount" of Christmas...some sweet cards, gifts and a little spending money from Texas friends and family, small gifts from Pat & Bob, small gifts from each other.  No big piles of plastic like I'm apt to provide other times.  I need to learn a lesson from this...


No comments:

Post a Comment