Thursday, August 11, 2011

Athens: Plaka

 The Plaka is the shopping and restaurant area close to the Acropolis and is one of the oldest parts of the city.  The streets are very narrow and so often closed off to traffic.   Yes, this would be the ubber-tourist part of Athens, but we really enjoyed wandering through it.  Much shopping was done here...to the point that extra suitcases had to be purchased.






And then there would be some gorgeous building tucked away among the shops...like this Byzantine-era church.

 Hannah with some of her prizes: Greek shirt and cat purse.

 Jack with prizes: Hat (like Dad's) and owl necklace.

Hank just mainly wanted ice cream and internet access.  He would typically eat two of these soft-serve cones in each visit.  Thankfully, he also let me buy him a shirt with basic Greek sayings on the front.  Then, when I needed a refresher I could turn around and yell, "Come here boy and let me read what you got!"

Ever heard the saying "It's all Greek to me?" in reference to something not understood? 
Apparently the Greeks say, "It's all Chinese to me."



No comments:

Post a Comment