Thursday, July 21, 2011

Piano!

I've missed having a piano in our house for so long--even the out-of-tune, missing-a-foot, no-tops-on-the-keys antique that we had in Calvert was a joy compared to not having one. So I got a little extra money from some consulting work and splurged on this one.  It's an electric piano made by Yamaha.

The "cabinet" is "real wood" (pressboard I would image), but the keyboard is full-size, it has three functioning pedals, and it plays exactly like a "real" piano.  I'd tried electric pianos before but hated the slight delay between pushing the key and hearing the sound.  I also didn't want all that fancy schmancy 68 instruments and a mamba/disco back beat crap that typically goes on a keyboard.  This one does have six "voices," but two of them sound exactly like a perfectly tuned piano. It also has a built-in metronome. 

We are having way too much fun with this!  Jack is learning to play "Heart and Soul," and I've downloaded a bunch of sheet music to try to refamiliarize myself with playing.  I think we'll sign Hannah and Jack up for lessons this fall.

The excellent news is also that this is light and "travel safe."  It can go to a new home via shipping container (and a real piano most likely couldn't have weathered that journey very well).

It's perfect for our needs right now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment