Saturday, April 2, 2011

All By Myself, Mama! First Try at Temari Sushi


Yea for a rice cooker that works perfectly!  With some combination of Aki's excellent instructions, the "artificial intelligence" of the rice cooker, and luck, my first try at sushi turned out to be at least edible.  These are the little Terami rice balls with a thin slice of smoked salmon and a steamed shrimp on top.  All you need to form them is a sheet of Saran wrap.

The rice itself was perfectly cooked but a little too sweet.  While the soy sauce and wasabi paste helped balance that out, next time, I'll cut the sugar some.  That adjustment probably has to do with the brand of wine vinegar and with the type of sugar I used.  I think I've mentioned earlier that the sugar here has very large crystals--things like homemade cake have a sort of not-unpleasant but somewhat unexpected crunch to them.  While I thoroughly dissolved the sugar in the vinegar as instructed, I wouldn't be surprised if the size of the crystals somehow meant I added more than I meant to...

This is a plate I prepared for a sweet neighbor, who volunteered to be my Guinea pig.  The little tiny soy sauce bottle in the middle actually came from Aki (one of our Sushi teachers), but now that I know I can make the rice, I'll be heading to Daiso (Japanese dollar store) tomorrow to get a rolling mat and some of those little bottles myself. The neighbors gave it two thumbs up. :)

Yea for an old dog and a new trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment