Friday, December 24, 2010

Stuff that Unexpectedly Make Me Cry:
Migrating Birds

Back in Texas, one of my favorite signs of fall is migrating snow geese. About the time it's cool enough for us to open our bedroom windows, you can hear the geese honking as they fly overhead in their V formation. I remember being a 19 year old sophomore at Texas A&M, waiting for John to come see me at my apartment, and listening to that sound through the window.  It takes me back to roommates and bonfire and being young.  The sound is sort of sad but then it always makes me happy because I know cooler weather is on the way.

Cooler weather is also here in Doha now. The highs are in the mid 70's, and the lows are in the mid-50's. Every day is full of mild sunshine. It is truly gorgeous. It's a "Doha Winter," and is yet another new thing for us to experience.

I had really been missing the geese, when one day, Hannah was playing in the park across from our house, and I saw a formation fly overhead. Everyone thought I was pretty strange as I jumped up and stared at the sky, tears running down my face. I was so dumbstruck that I didn't run for my camera. A few days later, a whole gaggle of little girls came screaming to me that the birds were coming, the birds were coming! I ran for my camera and got this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment