Friday, July 9, 2010

I Like Dates

Most likely, dear reader, you're already aware that dates are both common and ancient in the Middle East. If you are like me, however, you may have some confusion about just what these little boogers are, and how to use them. Some of you (this was me a year ago) may have mistakenly believed that dried dates are the same as a prune (Not true. Not even close to true).

Date palms have been cultivated for thousands of years, and are an integral part of culture here. They are mentioned repeatedly in the Holy Qur'an, and in fact there is a Hadith about the Prophet's favorite kind (Ajwah - mildly sweet and very black when dried). There are many, many different kinds (over 300 varieties in Saudi Arabia alone) and different ways to prepare and use them. Much to the confusion of my trying to learn Arabic, that means there are a thousand words to use to describe them all.

Kimri (unripe), Khalal (full sized but still crunchy), Rutab (soft and ripe), and Tamr (ripe but sun-dried) are the ways you can find them. I think there are even names for when they're in between stages.

I find that I like the smaller sun-dried (tamr), firm, and sweet ones - I'm especially fond of a type called Safawi that you can buy packaged at grocery stores.



I keep wanting to try the Ajwah, but these are QUITE expensive and I just haven't spent the money yet. We did go to the Omani Souq and buy two types in bulk (by the Kg), both somewhere between khalal and rutab.





Yes, they're looking a little funky (especially the yellow ones) but the mushy-looking stuff is the best part.

The Omani Souq is a whole other blog entry, as it is a very smelly place of joy and wonder. Hannah walked through it with me while everyone else stayed in the Pajero and covered their noses. You see, dear reader, among the other myriad of items to be found there is sundried fish (like whole, and sundried means literally dried out right there. In the sun). You can smell it from blocks away. But just for a teaser:



Khalas (It is finished).

No comments:

Post a Comment