Friday, February 1, 2013

That Moment When You Yell OMG in the Store

We had some strawberries last week, and they were really good.   About 25% of the package was squashy bruised, so it went to waste.  But they were good enough to go back and buy some more.  I guess the first time I hadn't looked at the shelf very closely when I bought two packages at once.


I PAID 59 QR...SIXTEEN DOLLARS & SIXTEEN CENTS...for ONE pound of strawberries (actually, because I bought two, I paid $32.32).  To make it worse, I then proceded to toss 25% of them. If I had known, all people in my house would have been eating weeping bruising under threat of punishment.

People of Holland: WTH are you doing to your strawberries to make them worth this much money?

And for those clueless people (me) that don't take time to look...just to the left of these were strawberries for 16 QR per pound.  That's $4.38.  That's NORMAL Doha crazy.  Not slap-yourself-crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Here in Seoul, people were paying $60.00-80.00 US for small turkeys at Thanksgiving. Strawberries and blueberries are pretty expensive, too, but nothing like $16! This just provides further support my theory that we're paying for business class travel for some of this imported stuff. I kept envisioning the headless turkeys lounging in the front cabin, complete with slippers and champagne flutes...

    ReplyDelete